The site of St. Peter's church is quite clear and well documented. It stood on the area just west of the castle site on St. Peter's Hill. It is the only one of Stamford's churches to be named in the Domesday Book, which suggests that it was in existence well before the Conquest. It was owned at that time by a man called Albert. It may have been encompassed by the castle walls, when they were built in the 12th century. In 1296 it was reported as being in disrepair. In the middle of the 16th century it was amalgamated with All Saints parish, and the building disappeared; the site has not been built on since.