Churches in Stamford
Information about every church in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England
The group of General Baptists existed in the town from at least 1773, and opened their chapel at number 13 Bath Row in 1829. This was also the minister's house: the house with shutters which is end-on to the road. By 1846 it was no longer in use.
In the Stamford Mercury of 25 September 1829, it was reported that the Baptists were conducting public baptisms in the Welland, near the George Bridge, watched by 2,000 people.
On 20 November 1829, the Mercury reported another public baptism, this one held at Lamb's bridge. There were others conducted in 1830 and in 1835.