This church was situated on the western edge of the town, very near St. Peter's gate. The name means 'St Mary within the walls'. It was described in 1157 as St Mary the Lesser; extra burgum - or outside the town walls, but the stone defences of the town were not started until the second half of the 13th century. By 1209 it had acquired the name 'de Binnewerk', from which we can take it that the new walls extended beyond its site. It was described as having been ruinous for a long time when it was amalgamated with St. Peter's in 1462, which itself was later amalgamated with All Saints.